Friday, January 22, 2010

Running a Business Compared to being an Employee

I found out quickly that running a solo practice was much different than just being an attorney. In addition to being an attorney I have had to research and learn what it means to run a business. Accounting, marketing, admistrative and office work, and all the details needed just to open a business were all overwhelming.

Simple law office tasks like managing files meant I had to develop a process to open and close files, arrange buying the office supplies needed deciding how I wanted to label and organize files. In addition I had to make sure I had everything from client intake forms to fee agreements ready.

Accounting took on a whole new meaning too. I had to figure out how much to charge hourly and look at programs to track my hours. As an attorney you will be provided with procedures to handle billing and you just get an hourly rate or salary for the hours you put in. Now I have to figure out how many hours of unbillable work I have to do a work and how much I have to bill to be able to pay my bills.

Probably the most challenging aspect of running a business for me is marketing. The idea of networking and trying to get referrals was eye opening. I went to law school with the intention of working at the D.A.'s office so I never wanted to deal with marketing. The subject of marketing was so involved for me that I will write an arctle on it at some point soon. I will also include a list of really great books I had recommended and read on the subject.

If you are an attorney thinking about starting a solo practice it is important to make sure you know what you are getting into. We all have a passion for helping people or we would not being attorneys, but running a business offered many challenges I was not ready for until I started reading and asking friends for advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment