Monday, February 15, 2010

Balancing Life and Work

One constant struggle for anybody who owns their own business is trying to balance work and life. This is a pretty natural conflict. You obviously have a passion for what you do or you would not have started your own business. I’ve been surprised a few times seeing the clock go from five to seven when I am working on a project. On the other hand one major benefit of working for yourself is setting your hours so you can spend time with your families.

One of the first things I did when I wanted to open my own firm was to talk to friends who run their own business. I heard this point from each of my friends who I know have close relationships with their families. Sadly from a few that were divorced this topic never came up. I deeply value the relationships with my family so finding a balance here was important to me.

I want to promote my business and never turn away a potential client, but I also want to be available for my family. I had a friend tell me about experiences when he was out with his kids and somebody would start asking him questions. He wanted to talk to the potential client, but pointed out that if he did so he was taking time away from his daughter. He works enough hours during the day and clients can come see him in his office.

I valued the advice I was given and will strive to make sure my family does not eve feel like second fiddle to my business.

No comments:

Post a Comment